With the 1953 opening of the Mathews Bridge, much of Arlington instantly became accessible to Jacksonville’s still-thriving downtown. As much of the area became blanketed with new developments, property close to the St. Johns River in neighborhoods in and near Arlington developed an immediate allure to those requiring something more unique. During the 1950s and into the 1960s, Jacksonville’s most noteworthy architects would design some of their most important houses for Arlington clients.
Many of these examples have been lucky enough to avoid clumsy remodeling which would have compromised their design integrity. Indeed, several appear to be remarkably pristine examples of the most innovative designs in Jacksonville during the early 1950s.
On October 8th, OAI, together with the Florida Chapter of DOCOMOMO (a branch of an international organization for the DOcumentation and COnservation of buildings, sites, and monuments of the MOdern Movement), and the Jacksonville Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, will be presenting a tour of as many as six of Arlington’s most special houses from the postwar period.
The tour will begin with registration and introductory remarks at 8:30 at the Unitarian Universalist Church (7405 Arlington Expressway). Attendees will receive a color brochure including maps and other information, for the self-guided house visits, which will begin at 10:00 a.m. and last until 1:00 p.m. 3 HSW's available.
The OAI/DOCOMOMO/AIA tour will include stops at two riverfront houses designed by former Frank Lloyd Wright protégé Robert Broward, two exceptional houses by Taylor Hardwick, including what is arguably his best-preserved residential design from the 1950s, and a remarkable 1954 house designed by William Marshall and built of redwood, glass, and a then-innovative product called Cemesto. Tour-goers will also have the privilege of visiting William Morgan’s 1967 Hatcher House in Empire Point. This magnificent residence -- inspired by Le Corbusier’s Villa Shodham in Ahmedabad, India – appeared destined for the scrapheap two years ago, when its new owners fell in love with it and brought it back to life. Their thoughtful renovation of the building is nearing completion.
Following lunch on your own, the tour program will continue on the other side of the Mathews Bridge in the afternoon, when OAI, DOCOMOMO, and AIA will be presenting a tour of the former Ford Motor Company assembly plant, which was designed by Albert Kahn and built in 1924. Kahn is best-known for his factory designs, including many built for the Soviet automobile industry. Jacksonville's Model T plant features the massive scale, lack of decoration, and use of modern materials demonstrated in many of Kahn's other industrial buildings. The building is presently in poor shape and is being used for light industrial purposes and trailer storage. Its beautiful site on the St. Johns River makes the plant an obvious candidate for a number of possible reuse opportunities, most notably as a cruise ship terminal. 1 LU available.
The morning program beginning at the Unitarian Universalist Church and continuing with the house tours will cost $10. The afternoon tour at the former Ford plant will cost $5. For more information, please contact email@example.com.